Covers insights on Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Google Search Algorithm Updates, Paid Search, Social Media to name a few . Jag's SEO A Day Blog help articles, tips and tricks are for free to educate newbie’s, web masters, online business owners and seasoned professionals!
Wednesday, December 28, 2011
(1) How many words can I use in H1 tags?
H1 tags are for page headings. There are no fixed numbers. Have H1 tag meaning full for page body content that helps users and search engines to understand better. Normally 4 to 5 words are seen around as maximum and they were meaningful.
(2) Can I use the same article content in different articles site?
No you should not. Have one article per site. Do not duplicate. Make sure that the articles site is not a scrapper site.
(3) Does Google prioritize search results?
Yes Google lists search results based on website popularity and the factors includes links to your site, search engine friendly structure, quality content and many other factors. Follow Google guidelines to increase your online presence.
(4) How to get listed higher in Google?
Your site should meet Google guidelines provided the site should have relevant backlinks for your users search keywords and should have quality resources (articles, news etc). If it is a service site, build internal links from your resources.
(5) How often does Google crawl?
There is no fixed time interval. Crawls are based on backlinks, content updates, PageRank and many other factors. Build crawler-friendly pages by following Google guidelines.
(6) What is the Google panda factor?
Panda is a filter that finds low-quality pages. If you have too many low-quality pages then the site will be flagged. Read more on Google panda factor checklist.
(7) What are more important backlinks according to Google?
Backlinks that are related to your site theme and the linking site should have related content around.
(8) What does the term keyword prominence refer to?
Keyword prominence refers to the priority given for the keywords in top content, Title, H tags and Meta tags.
(9) What directories does Google like?
Human edited directories are linked most.
(10) Should I mention sitemap in robots.txt file?
Mentioning sitemap XML in robots.txt helps spiders to know the location of the sitemap.
The blog post “SEO questions answered” will be a weekly update. I will be answering the question as I find in my Google Analytics search log. Subscribe and stay tuned!
Monday, December 26, 2011
Easy way to setup Google Feedburner to your Blogs and Websites. Make your blog posts popular. Help your readers to subscribe your blog posts updates easily through Feedburner's headline animator . Try now. Don't miss it!
The blog post has a write-up to setup your blog feeds to the place you desire.
Step 1: Sign-up
Login to Google feedburner using your Gmail account.
Step 2: Getting your blog Feeds
Get your blog feeds from the following URL
Blogger - www.yourdomain.com/atom.xml
Wordpress - www.yourdomain.com/?feed=rss
Step 3: Adding Blog Activity Feed
Assume you have selected one of your blog feed.
In the Feedburner dashboard you will have an option to paste the blog feed link in an text box as below (Refer Figure 3.1).
If you have a podcast in your blog then click on check box “I am a podcaster” and click next button. If you don't have a podcast in your blog then leave the check box and click next button. On the next screen you may alter your Feedburner title and feed address and click again next button.
Now your Feedburner would have been created and you can see it live in the feed address you have created as seen in the below image (Refer Figure 3.2). Now you can share your feedburner's blog feed to your readers and friends.
Step 4: Creating and configuring to Feed Management
In Feedburner created page you have options to move to next step to configure stats (Refer Figure 4.1 and Figure 4.2) or to skip to feed management page as seen in below screenshot (Refer Figure 4.3).
Step 5: Activating Headline Animator
Now you can click on “Publicize” button (Refer Figure 5.1) and you will be landing to a page "publicize your feed". In this, on left hand side you can see services listed as seen in the below screenshot and from that you can click “Headline Animator”. (Refer Figure 5.2).
Here comes the page were you have the code to configure the “Headline Animator” Feedburner in your blog. Before that you can change the theme, colour code, wrap long headlines and font size for your taste and click on the Activate button as seen in the below screenshot (Refer Figure 5.3).
Step 6: Selecting the type of Code
Once it gets activated you can see an drop down option at the top of the page to select the type of platform you are about to use the code. There are options like my space, blogger, wordpress and so. Also you may select other option (just gimme the code) as seen in below screenshot and click next (Refer Figure 6.1). A pop new window will be opened with the code to paste in HTML part.
Creating Feedburner Widget for Blog - In Addition, if you would like to add your blog post activity Feedburner to your blog or signature then you may select the respective option and click next so that it takes to the next level of widget. Suppose if you select Blogger blog and click next you will have a pop up window with "Add to Blogger" button as below (Figure 6.2).
Click "Add to Blogger" button and it will open a new window where you can signin using your blogger account. Once you Signin you will be taken to a page with "Add Widget" Button. Click the button to add to the Widget to your blog layout page. Now you can click Save button in top right corner for the widget to show in your live blog. This can make your blog visitors know your posts in blog and this can even tend to click on the posts.
Coming back to the main post...
Step 7: Copy and paste the Code.That's it.
Now you may copy the code and paste it anywhere in the HTML part.
The headline animator can be seen by adding to the blog post / HTML template (Blogger) or by having the code in the .php file (Wordpress) in the place were you like to display.
TIP: If you have no idea about HTML then you can have the headline animator Feedburner code after Div or Table closing Tag.
You can press save / publish button. Now your code is updated. That's it. You are done and it would look something like the one below in your blog.
It is recommended to have Good Feedburner headline animator in your blog or websites for the visitors to know the activity on your blog.
Feel free to subscribe and share your comments.
What are Keywords?
Keywords are words that are used to search information in Search Engines that refers to a specific topic. Keywords can vary like Singular Keywords, Plural keywords, Strong & Weak keywords, Global & Local keywords, Misspelled keywords, Seasonal keywords and Long tail keywords.
How Keywords work?
When you search for information using a Keyword, the Search Engine looks for all the indexed pages in the database contacting the specific word or words (Called as keywords). If you try for a Keyword 'SEO and SMO' then the search engine will look for the pages that contain the words 'SEO and SMO'. Despite you will see topics that relates to only SEO and as well you will also find topics that only relates to SMO. If you need the search result that includes both 'SEO and SMO' then you have to use an advance operator " ". Here an example advance search Keyword "SEO and SMO" to check the web search results that has all words and following the exact order of words. You can read more on advance operator section below..
Types of Keywords
Keywords are of many types that vary to the individual human behavior. Keywords are not created they are formed. Sometimes Today's Keywords will not be Tomorrow's. Even there are Keywords that get disappeared. For example, if a Keyword is based on a specific technology and the technology is outdated than people will not be searching for those words and obviously the Keywords will be disappeared or can be changed to some other form based on the versions and future technology. Likewise same for many industries. Here are the types of Keywords that can give you more idea.
(1) Singular Keywords:
Form of a word that is used to search a single piece of product or niche information. Singular Keywords had to be used according to the need and generally Keyword formation should be smart.
For example, a singular keyword can be something like - book and can't be like - Cricket shoe. People will search for shoes and not shoe.
(2) Plural keywords:
Form of a word that is used to search more than one specific object or range of information. Compared to the above example Plural keywords can be used like - Cricket shoes and it is meaningful and the simple difference between the singular and the plural is an “s” or “es” at the end of the word.
Now a days, Google and other major search engines are smart enough to find the relationship between plural and singular. Google also index and values singular keywords for some of the targeted plural keywords based on the people search behavior. That is, users who search for the plural keywords may still get benefit out of web pages that focus the singular keywords.
(3) Strong Keywords:
Strong keywords have high volume of search and it takes up from single word to even some Geo specific keywords. This depends entirely on the user volume those who are looking for the information. Promoting web page for strong keywords is not so easy as the competition would be much high and as well will have large number of results.
Here few examples for Strong Keywords:
* Apple ipad
(4) Weak Keywords:
Weak Keywords are low volume keywords but it can produce a decent reference for business enquiries. Normally more than two or more words search keyword comes under weak keywords criteria. For creating week keywords, you can try to add your location to strong keywords and measure the search volume using a keyword tool.
This will work for many industries and you can obtain a decent traffic for start and gradually you can focus strong keywords. There are even week keywords that are not location specific since those keywords might have less competition and search results based on industries you target.
(5) Global Keywords:
Global Keywords are not location specific and most of the keywords are targeted for Dot com search engines and the importance of site listing for Global keywords are not restricted to regional specific search engines.
(6) Local Keywords:
Local Keywords are location specific and the keywords can be targeted for regional search engines. Normally local keywords are specific to your languages and targeted country.
Example for local keywords
* Web design London
* SEO New York
(7) Misspelled Keywords:
Misspelled Keywords are formed when huge volume of search engine users have problem with spellings and make typo mistakes while searching for information. And also some spell different and it depends on country. In US the spell is 'color' and in Australia it is written as 'Colour'
One good example is 'accommodation' word. Some type as 'accomodation' and 'accomadation'
(8) Sesonal Keywords:
Seasonal Keywords occur only on certain times of the year. A good example is a greeting card site and seasonal product-selling site. Seasonal Keywords competition changes based on the volume of the search.
In Christmas period, users will be searching for Christmas greeting cards and Christmas gifts. Other than November and December these keywords will have least importance.
(9) Long Tail Keywords :
Long tail keyword are combination of highly searched keyword phrases that generates relevant phrases. These long tail in keywords can provide a significant amount of traffic and when promoted well these keywords can provide a good amount of traffic for original keywords that are used to combine to form a long tail keyword.
These type of long tail keywords are used for article title and press release heading and a good long tail keywords can generate higher conversion rate than a normal keyword (Called as short tail keyword).
Keyword Search Operators
Keywords search Operators help a lot with search and to become a real Keyword search expert you can use the following operators like,
(1 ) Plus (+) Operator
+ Operator with a word / keyword helps to search the web results with those specific keyword around content, title, Meta tags and links.
From Figure (A) you can see a search keyword "business directories" and the results would be varied based on the words directory and directories. The actual search was for "business directories" and not "business directory" but yet you can see results for both directories and directory.
When you use an operator "+" you can see changes in results as seen in Figure (B). The result shows for the word directories.
Note: Now Google has replaced + with "".
(2) Minus (-) operator
- Operator with a word / keyword helps to omit those words from search results.
When you use an operator "-" you can see the web results as seen in Figure (C.) The result will not show search terms that include the word “directories” and show only related to the word “business”.
(3) Related (~) operator
~ Operator with a word / keyword helps to find search results that are related to the search term.
When you use an operator "~" with the word “directories” as seen in Figure (D), then you can see the results that includes words like "search, guide, white pages and so".
(4) OR operator
OR operator in-between search terms help the user with the results containing either one word.
When we use OR operator in-between “business” and “directories” words as seen in Figure (E) then the web search results will be displayed containing word business OR directories.
Keywords Role in SEO
Being Keywords as one of the major factor for SEO - an explanation is given in one of my post about how effectively Keywords can be used for Search Engine Optimization(SEO). The below topics are covered in the post"how to improve content writing to rank in first page?".
(a) SEO copy writing - Two Ways
(b) Four Keyword Strategies
(i) Keyword Density
(ii) Keyword Prominence
(iii) Keyword Frequency
(iv) Keyword Proximity
(c) Maintaining the position.
(d) Example on SEO Copy Writing Using Keywords
By now this Keywords 101 post should have helped you to know all about Keywords and its use. Feel free to post your comment on what you know about Keywords.
Monday, December 19, 2011
What Google hates?
1. Serving different results for search engines and users.
2. Content copied from different sites.
3. Buying paid links to manipulate site ranking.
4. Keyword stuffing in content and HTML tags.
5. Hiding keywords using style sheet.
7. Slow loading sites.
8. Low server response sites.
9. Duplicate URLs and sites that don’t use canonical URL tags.
10. Dynamic sites that doesn’t use parameter handling.
11. Pages that have high bounce rate.
12. Tags that doesn’t meet body content.
13. Low average time spent on each page.
14. Non-search engine friendly URLs
15. Images that are not optimized which results in slow loading pages.
16. Interlinking with your own hosted domains.
17. Getting traffic from Spyware or through running some sort of scripts.
18. Links to spammer sites and bad neighborhood sites.
19. Having same content in your domain and sub domains.
20. Pages that installs Badware.
21. Affiliate program with no unique or relevant content.
22. Too many reciprocal links with irrelevant content sites or reciprocating links with bad neighborhood sites.
23. Misspelled words to get higher ranking in search results.
If you find any of these Google hates (Black hat SEO techniques) in your site or your friend’s site, take immediate steps to resolve or the site will get banned at any time or will be flagged as spam in search. If the site got banned for not following Google guidelines, take immediate measures by analyzing the above mentioned points and fix accordingly. Once you're are sure that you follow the Google guidelines then you can use the Google index reconsideration form.
Friday, December 02, 2011
This blog post is about improving your content writing to rank in first page of Google, Yahoo and Bing by following set of SEO standards and factors. This post can help you reach your content to all your readers who search for similar information. Always write content for Readers first, not for bot's alone. Have the keywords in your content as reader friendly then search engine friendly. Read this post so that you "Don't give a chance for your readers to miss your Content".
This post helps you to know how to improve content writing by formatting the content with HTML & SEO standards that can be easily understood by search engine bots about the importance of the content subject along with researched keywords. If you do not format properly, even quality content will not reach your readers. Make Google, Yahoo and Bing search engines, easily crawl able. Have your content to follow the SEO standards like Title, SEF page URL, Mata tag, H1, H2, H3, H4 tags, Image ALT, Anchor text, feed, formatted external CSS, JS and body content in Div code. Don't miss the chance and get to know how to use these standards.
Improve Content write-up to reach your readers with SEO Factors
Normally only few content writers thinks about SEO for Content, that is writing content and optimizing for search engine to make it easily spiderable. One must follow SEO factors to reach readers local and global. Now a day’s SEO for Content is very much essential even for quality content to win search engine results and to reach readers who look for your quality information.
(a) SEO copy writing - Two Ways
You need to start a ground work of picking relevant keywords using Google Keyword selector tool or Search-based Keyword Tool for your content and you may start writing your contents with those single, two word key phrases and long tail key phrases. Do not make the content odd by stuffing those keywords. You can think of the keyword and write the content and if the information is clear and beneficial for it's users then you win the game. If content is written with related images and examples, if any, then you will get even better responses.
Another way is that you can first prepare your content drafts and based on the subject you can look for keywords using Google Keyword selector tool or Search-based Keyword Tool. Then related to the content you can add keywords and make the copy more meaningful and as well make sure that you don't add too many keywords. Do follow Keyword Strategies that can help your to determine the best practice.
(b) Four Keyword Strategies
Here is a much enhanced keyword strategies that can make big difference in your new content write-up and as well to improve your existing content. The strategies are keyword density, frequency, prominence, and proximity.
(i) Keyword Density
To make your content win in search results you need to add top search keywords that your readers use in search engine. Your content may have those key phrases but make sure those are used in your content in correct format that meets keyword density.
Keyword Density % = Amount of keywords used / Total amount of words in the content.
Keyword density in percentage terms is calculated based on the amount of keywords you have used and the total amount of words you use in the content. This strategy is used to avoid the chance of keyword stuffing. Keyword density can be between 2% to 8% and not more than that.
(ii) Keyword Prominence
How prominently your keywords are placed in your content depends on how much top priority for the keyword is given in your starting content, Title, H tags and Meta tags.
(iii) Keyword Frequency
The number of times a particular keyword has been repeated. Referring to the example you can see how many times "Photograph Editing Software" Keyword appears on a page content. Some may think that more the times Keyword found in a page, then the page ranks better for that Keyword. It is not so. Stuffing Keywords in a page will result in penalizing since it looks like spam. Here you need to follow Keyword Density.
(iv) Keyword Proximity
Keyword proximity refers to how close two or more keywords are to each other. You will achieve higher rankings if you place your keywords close together.
It depends on how you frame your two or more words to each other. If you are able to have words in your keywords close then you have chances to rank much higher. Here are two types of examples of how keyword "Photograph Editing Software" is focused.
Example 1: Looking for Photograph Editing Software? Go for Adobe photoshop.
Example 2: Best Software for Photograph Editing is Adobe photoshop.
Example 1 will work better when compared to Example 2 since in example one "Photograph Editing Software" is used as one single Keyword were as example 2 uses "Software for Photograph Editing". Words are not close and in order.
In detail, In Example 1, "Photograph Editing Software" 3 words are in same order as searched by users, whereas in Example 2, "Software for Photograph Editing" are not in order as you can see "Software" word is used in front of "for Photograph Editing" rather than after "Photograph Editing" as you can see from the actual keyword "Photograph Editing Software".
All the Four Keyword Strategies can be applicable in below tags and these are very much useful:
* Meta Description.
* H1, H2, H3, H4 Tags.
* ALT attribute.
* Page name.
* Anchor Text.
* The body of the text.
(c) Maintaining the position.
It is not only about winning the game on holding the position in #1 page. It is all about maintaining the position in #1 page. I see some get into the position and then drop down soon. This is due to the lack of updates on the topic. Don't give any chances. This may also happen sometimes when you don't follow keyword strategies in your content and when you don't follow SEO standards.
Plan of Action to Rank in First Page
1. Improve your content writing for readers and DO SEO.
2. Make sure you have fresh and informative content in your content.
3. Avoid thoughts of using content only for marketing.
4. Make your content unique so it stands out from the rest.
5. Work on your content regularly.
6. Do add relevant key phrases to your content and avoid stuffing.
7. Do apply HTML standards and SEO factors to your content for effective search engine listings.
8. Always set right balance for users and Search Engines.
Example on SEO Copy Writing
Here is an example based on optimizing the content. Suppose you plan to have a write-up on "Photograph Editing Software" as below. Here are the steps to show how to use Google Keywords tool to pick relevant keywords and optimize content for those keywords.
Step1: Now to start with optimization you can look for "Photography Editing Software" keyword search count and related keywords using Google Keyword tool.
Click Google Keyword selector tool and paste the keyword "Photography Editing Software" in the "Enter one keyword or phrase per line" text area box, next enter captcha security characters and press Get Keywords ideas button as seen in Figure 1.1
Step 2: Now you gets two types of results. One is "Keywords related to term(s) entered" and the other is "Additional keywords to consider". If you feel Additional keywords are useful you can very well use them.
Below keywords shown in Figure 2.1 are from "Keywords related to term(s) entered" section:
Step 3: Now we have 5 keywords to optimize and the write-up is about Adobe photoshop and we all know Adobe is not free so we can eliminate 5th keyword. (Refer Figure 2.1)
Now we have 4 keywords to consider to optimize the content. Here is an example how we add those keywords to the content.
"Looking for Photograph Editing Software? Go for Adobe photoshop. One of the Best photography editing software for Digital and Professional editing."
SEO Standards - Content formatting and practices
The content formatting and presentation is very much important.
(1) Title Tag
This is the main tag for search engines to know all about the page content. Keep your title tag Keyword rich and catchy since many search engine uses Title tag for search listing.
- Google 101: How Google crawls, indexes and serves the web
- Yahoo! Search Content Quality Guidelines
- Bing Guidelines for successful indexing
- Google's Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide! [PDF]
- Google Keyword Tool
- Search-based Keyword Tool
- Don't load pages with keywords.
- Little or no original content.
- Image guidelines for best practices on publishing images.
- Google-friendly sites
- Don't participate in link schemes
- Google Analytics | Official Website
Thursday, November 24, 2011
This Blog post on Search Engine Optimization(SEO) 101 for students & beginners teaches the basics about Search Engines and web page optimization. Search Engine Optimization in short is called SEO and is also known by different terms like web promotion, organic promotion and free search listing.
"Search Engine Optimization (SEO) 101: Students Guide - Basics" helps to learn What Search Engine is, What SEO is, Why we do SEO, How SEO works, Finding the website page index, Adding a website page to Google, Yahoo and Bing in a simple way.
Favorite or Bookmark this post as the author will be adding more information on Basic SEO and you may use this post as a reference guide whenever you like to implement SEO.
What is a Search Engine?
Search Engine is a tool that helps to retrieve information for a user when a query is typed into the search text box and by clicking search button submit. A large amount of information can be easily retrieved when you do a search for a particular query also known as Keywords or Key phrase.
Search Engines have large databases that stores information consists of web pages, images, products, news, videos and many other types of files. Information are listed according to Search Engine internal algorithms. When you do a search for a keyword, you can notice the Webpages listing with total results on right hand side of the browser page of some thousands of records. Here the internal algorithms work for displaying the most relevant Webpage results for the keywords. Most Search Engines follow their own algorithm and a few combine or share with others.
What is Search Engine Optimization (SEO)?
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is a process to maximize web page visibility in Search Engines for users search queries (Keyword or Key phrase).
SEO tells Search Engine what the site WebPages are about and helps with easy WebPage crawl through effective Page Title, Meta tags, Alt attribute, Anchor text, Search friendly HTML tags and code, Optimizing quality content, Keyword optimization and Link building strategy.
Why Search Engine Optimization?
* To increase targeted organic traffic.
* To create brand identity.
* To increase global online presence.
* To list ahead of competitor.
* For long-term sales conversion.
* To reach potential customers.
* To increase ROI.
How Search Engine Optimization work in General?
Assume you have a non-SEO webpage and you check for search queries (Keywords / Key phrases) related to your content and check for Search Engine ranking in first page, top 10 positions. If you are ranked, it is well and good. You can dance. But the possiblity is that you will not be ranked for highly user-searched keywords known as strong keywords. Here you need to start with SEO Basics.
(i) Preliminary Measures and Checks
For starters, check whether you have everything in the WebPage to compete with the competition or the information that lists above your Search Engine indexed WebPage. Things to be checked are fresh informative content compared to the page listing above your WebPage listing. Getting the best keywords, comparing with the pages listed above your listing and verifying with good keywords suggestion tools. You have various good tools like Google keyword tool, Wordtracker and Keyword Discovery. Write clean code with well-formatted Cascading style sheet and Java script, and have it as an external file.
(ii) Primary SEO Guidelines
Try to give more importance to content and only use images with Alt attribute if you find them more relevant to the content and make the web page light in weight. Improve navigation links and the best practice is to go with text navigation links rather than image links for easy Search Engine crawl. Add user interactive forms, polls and quiz if the webpage information needs it. Then start submitting webpages to directories gradually. Once your WebPages are added to few directories and the search engine identifies these directories submission and stores the link information in database, then you will see improvement in your webpage position gradually. SEO works slowly and it is long term. It takes days, weeks and an even a month depending on the WebPage content competition and total search results. So we need to wait for the WebPage to generate traffic and conversion.
(iii) User Query, Search Engine Index & SEO Process
At the time when a Search Engine user searches for information using a query then the query is referred in Search Engine web server to retrieve index information page, the web server refers to index server. On the other hand assume a SEO work has been carried out as explained in preliminary measures and checks and primary SEO guidelines to the WebPages and submitted to the index sever (Refer Figure 1.0). This SEO process makes the WebPages re-indexed by Search Engine bots and stores in index server. Altogether the user query is being checked in index server and Search Engine internal algorithm looks for WebPages in doc server that match the user query and starts listing the indexed WebPages in results of 10 per page.
How to find if a website is indexed or not in Search Engines?
To start with you need to check whether your site pages are indexed or not in Search Engines (Refer Figure 2.0),.
Step 1: Go to www.Google.com, www.Yahoo.com, www.Bing.com
Step 2: Type, Site: www.yourdomian.com in Search box.
Step 3: Press, Submit search.
If your site pages are listed, you can see a search result page with total site pages indexed. If your site pages are not indexed and listed and Search Engines show "No Results" then you need to add site pages to Google. Yahoo and Bing.
How to list a site in Google, Yahoo and Bing?
If your site is not listed then you need to tell Search Engine about your site through Search Engine add URL page.
1. Add URL to Google
Go to www.google.com/addurl then enter your domain in URL text box, enter comments (optional) and type Captcha text and click Add URL button.(Refer Figure 3.0). That's all. Now your domain is added in Google Search Engine to index your domain WebPages.
2. Submit URL to Yahoo
Go to http://siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com/submit then enter your domain in text box and press submit URL button.(Refer Figure 3.1). That's it. Now your domain is submitted in Yahoo Search Engine to index your domain WebPages.
3. Submit URL to Bing
Go to www.bing.com/docs/submit.aspx then type Captcha characters and next type your domain and press Submit URL button. (Refer Figure 3.2). That's all. Now your domain is submitted in Bing Search Engine to index your domain WebPages.
Points to remember before you start SEO
* Write quality content for readers and help them with information for what the page is about.
* Use cascading style sheet for site page layout and clean code.
* Write meaningful page title with well researched keyword relevant to the page content
* Adding H tags for Headings and sub-headings for the content.
* Adding Alt attributes for images.
* Adding Anchor text for contents.
* Having content of 400 words minimum per page.
* HTML size should not be more than 50KB to 100KB.
* File name should be the same as page title.
* Adding text header navigation links, footer navigation links and Breadcrumb.
Common Search Engines
3. Bing (Former MSN)
6. Alta Vista
7. All the Web
8. Cuil.com (Down - Sep 10')
Oldest Search Engines
1. ALIWEB (1993)
2. JumpStation (1993)
3. Infoseek (1994)
4. Lycos (1994)
Search Engines Types
1. Meta Search Engines
2. Directory Search Engines
3. Paid Inclusion Search
4. Automatic Search Engines
5. Pay Per Click Search
6. Slash tag Search Engine
1. On Page SEO
2. Off Page SEO
Bad SEO Practices
1. Adding Invisible keywords
2. Purchasing Links
3. Having Duplicate content
4. Having Doorway pages
5. Automated SEO software
Types of Directories
1. General Directories
2. Local Directories
3. Regional Directories
4. Human Edited Directories
5. Blog directories
6. Article directories
7. Paid Listing Directories
- Google Toolbar
- Internet Archive
- Website speed check
- WebPage Spider Check
- Screen Resolutions Check
- Multi PageRank Check
- Page Visit Finder
- Alexa Site Traffic Lookup
- [PDF] Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide
- Meta tags
- Provide unique and relevant content
- Google Features: Query suggestions
- Google keyword tool
- Keyword Discovery
- Google Basics - Serving results
- HTML suggestions
- Making sure your content is text-based and readable
- Google - Site's index stats
Sunday, November 06, 2011
Factor 1. Do you have a low search performance page?
Status - Yes / No
Remark - You need to work on the quality of the page or you may delete the page. One non-quality page should not disturb other n number of quality pages.
Factor 2. Does your site loads slow?
Status - Yes / No
Remark - The site load time should not be high. You need to optimize your images and code to reflect site load speed.
Factor 3. Do you have well researched keywords that related your web page content?
Status - Yes / No
Remark - Without enough quality content, do not optimize your page titles for search keywords. The site page will be repeatedly listed for the user’s keywords only when the page is useful for the search user’s .Do not get into the personalized search users signed in site block list. At one point the search algorithm will be informed about the blocked sites.
Factor 4. Do you have high bounce rate?
Status - Yes / No
Remark - The site need to have well structured related links within the content or around the content. The navigational structure of the site should be clear with quality content. If the content is clear and interesting then the bounce rate will gets decreased because users will be interested to visits other relevant links.
Factor 5. Do you see users spending minimum time in your page(s)?
Status - Yes / NO
Remark - For a good site the users average time spent on the page should be high. This is based on the size of the quality content and other relevant content pages. You need to work on your content to hold users on the page(s) for long period.
Factor 6. Do you have related images for the content and do you own the copyright?
Status - Yes / No
Remark - If you are having images for your content then it should be relevant to the content. The image should speak about the content. Use your own image content or make sure to get the copyright of the image.
Factor 7. Do you have a clean design?
Status - Yes / No
Remark - Users experience is one of the main factors for panda update. Make sure the content is readable and website structure is user friendly with right combination of colours for a proper look and feel. Balance users experience with search engines experience. Also make sure that you include unique title, Meta tags, H tags, P tag, blog font, alt attribute and anchor texts.
Factor 8. Do you have a Meta description that briefs your page content?
Status - Yes / No
Remark - Make sure that the Meta description is not stuffed with keywords and it includes a brief of the page content.
Factor 9. Have you done a grammatical check on your web page content?
Status - Yes / No
Remark - Try to avoid grammatical mistakes in your content. Try to proofread before the content goes live. Clear content has high chance to list top.
Factor 10. Do you have more backlinks from same c class IP sites?
Status - Yes / No
Remark - Natural links are always better that artificial backlinks. Natural links are risk free. Update you site often with quality content so that your readers will like to give link from their site(s). Artificial backlinks from directories submission site has high chance to be from the same c class ip unless it is well researched. Bunch of links from same c class IP are not valid and can also be considered as spam.
Hope the above Google panda SEO checklist helps. The main factor for panda recovery is to avoid duplicate content and to remove or update poor quality content. Feel free to share your experience and factors if any.
Thursday, November 03, 2011
(1) URL tagging tool - This Google Analytics URL builder tool will help you to fill in the form information like Campaign Source, Campaign Medium, Campaign Term, Campaign Content and Campaign Name and click the Generate URL button for the tagging URL.
The tagging URL will look like http://www.seoaday.com/?utm_source=blog&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=example
Tool URL - http://www.google.com/support/analytics/bin/answer.py?answer=55578
(2) Rich Snippet tool - This Rich Snippets Testing Tool will help to check your structured data markup and it shows how Google display your URL in search results.
The Rich Snippets will look like below,
Tool URL - http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/richsnippets
(3) Crawl URL tool - This tool helps you to submit pages to the Google Index and which doesn't require ownership verification. So you can submit any URLs that you like.
Tool URL - https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/submit-url
(4) Page Speed Service tool - This tool is for requesting access to the Google Page Speed Service. If your site is too big with loads of information and you like to speed up your website then you need to give it a try. This service is a limited service.
Tool URL - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?hl=en_US&formkey=dDdjcmNBZFZsX2c0SkJPQnR3aGdnd0E6MQ&ndplr=1
(5) Page Speed Online check tool - This tool helps to measure the website performance and provides optimization suggestions for developers.
Tool URL - https://developers.google.com/pagespeed/
The page Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Help... got an overall Page Speed Score of 90 (out of 100)
Apart from the above tools, there are many widely used common tools like Google webmaster tools, Google keywords tool, Google insight, Google trends and Google traffic estimator.
If you find any new Google tool, feel free to mention.
Wednesday, November 02, 2011
(1) Research using social media monitoring tools to find what your customers speak about you.
(2) Write interesting facts that makes your content read.
(3) Spend on social media marketing only after you research on your customers.
(4) Share industry expert’s write-ups with your network.
(5) Post information’s on social media.
(6) Know people who go with your theme and follow on Twitter.
(7) Have provisions for people to contact you for feedback.
(8) Engage your Facebook fans.
(9) Have your profile information updated.
(10) Select a good username for social media accounts (Mine is jagadeeshmp).
(11) Expand your social media network by sharing quality content.
(12) Create a Google profile and sign up in Google plus. Add circles and interact with interesting links.
(13) Do not only share links that you own. Share all links that are interesting.
(14) Create a YouTube channel, customize based on your website theme and have video content on your selling services, products and interesting facts.
(15) Add link to your social media accounts from your site pages.
(16) Use Bookmarking & Sharing services that have all your social media sites.
(17) Participate in discussion forums, communities and groups. Learn and contribute.
(18) Keep monitoring on new social media sites.
Keep following the blog post. I will be adding more tips on Social Media.
Sunday, October 23, 2011
(1) Create a mobile site and build it search engine friendly OR make your existing site mobile friendly..
(2) Include G+ in all your webpages.
(3) Have complete profile information on Google plus / Google profiles and link it from your webpage.
(4) Get G+ for your webpage from reputed persons.
(5) Get natural links from readers by writing quality content.
(6) Add Facebook like and share buttons to your webpage and promote through social networks.
(7) Include rich snippet to your web pages and indicate through rich snippet form for validation.
(8) Write quality content for users and not for search engines.
(9) Do not get links from paid directories without "nofollow" links. Go for paid directories only for traffic and not for ranking.
(10) Include your business information in Google places. This is the best place for getting local search traffic.
(11) Have monthly press release with right content and links.
(12) Participate in related forums. Engage posters and get engaged too.
(13) Do blogging and start valuable commenting on follow link blogs.
(14) Write keyword rich text in alt attributes. Especially on the images that are on top of the web pages.
(15) Get users reviews if you have a selling page and make sure that rich snippet works.
(16) Work on the low positioned search keywords that you see in analytics.
(17) Analyse webmasters tools and work on the pages that generate impressions and not clicks.
(18) Include all open WebPages in XML sitemap and inform Google & Bing through webmaster tools.
(19) Optimize your page title with search keywords only when you have unique content.
(20) Optimize your WebPages with right unique Meta description that speaks short about the webpage content.
(21) Add H tags (H1, H2, H3, H4, H5 and H6) towards the page heading and sub headings without keyword stuffing.
(22) Have text links in header and footer of the WebPages.
(23) Add a sitemap to a website.
(24) Add breadcrumbs to the WebPages.
(25) Have one homepage for a site. Redirect http://yourdomain.com to http://www.yourdomain.com and http://www.yourdomain.com/default.html to http://www.yourdomain.com.
(26) Make sure you balance keyword frequency, keyword prominence and keyword density.
(27) Make SEO friendly URLs with keyword rich page names.
(28) Use hyphens (-) instead for underscore (_) for web page name.
(29) Have CSS (Style sheets) in external file.
(31) Make sure that the site loads fast.
(32) Have the home page size (KB) to the minimum.
(33) Use < p > tags for page contents.
(34) Use < b > tags for important texts in contents.
(35) Do link building with trusted directories.
(36) Get links from reputed person’s social media profiles.
(37) Always be a leaner of SEO.
Keep following this page. I will be adding more SEO tips for 2012 as I derive from practical experiences and industry updates.
Wednesday, October 19, 2011
Content that attracts readers are given more importance by Google and other search engines. Readers who link to your webpage would be high and with right anchor text your web page will be boosted link anything.
Artificial backlinks needs more time and effort and to find the right sites for submission is not so easy. As per Google guidelines, paid links submission without “nofollow” attribute will be a big cause for penalty. Even if you pay for links with “nofollow” attribute, the link juice flow doesn't work like before. Instead if you put more efforts for writing quality content then over night you will have a high chance of getting more natural backlinks from your readers.
Writing quality content is a onetime effort. It automatically works for you round the clock but link submission is a repeated process. It is not that you need not get links from quality human edited directory; it is as simple as that you need to give more importance to write quality content to get natural backlinks and it grows as it reaches mass audience. Through researches it is found that natural backlinks brings more relevant users and conversion level is high.
Tuesday, October 18, 2011
(1) Find duplicate content and check if your content is original www.copyscape.com
(2) Find your copyright image that are used in other sites http://www.tineye.com/
(3) Plagiarism checking system www.plagiarismdetect.com
(4) Check articles with text and URL http://www.articlechecker.com/
(5) Duplicate content checker with 2 URL's http://www.webconfs.com/similar-page-checker.php
(6) Find duplicate content with copy & paste original text http://www.dustball.com/cs/plagiarism.checker/
(7) Track copy content by pasting or typing your original text http://www.plagium.com/
(8) Upload original content and find copy content http://www.duplichecker.com/
(9) Scan for copy content http://www.scanmyessay.com/
(10) File and web copy content checker www.doccop.com
To solve the copy content issue, you need to contact Google's DMCA agent, for that you can use the form and to mail or fax you can use Mail/Fax Process.
Friday, October 14, 2011
Friday, August 19, 2011
Your Bounce rate should not be 100% and your Browse rate should be 100%.
What is bounce rate?
In Google Analytics, bounce rate in percentage shows the visitors activity on who left the page in one single visit. The possibilities are,
1. The entrance page is not relevant
2. The content is not clear
3. The design looks very bad
4. If there are no proper navigation links
5. If no relevant links to the subject
6. If the page loads too slow
What is browse rate?
Browse rate refers to the visits page depth and time spent on each page. If your site looks good and the content is informative then your page should be one of the favorites for the visitor.
By now you would have got an idea on Bounce rate and Browse rate metrics and how it helps your organic listing. Work on your site and improve user’s experience.
Sunday, July 24, 2011
If you search for your keywords and compare with your online competitors, your listing would be different based on many factors. Here many do think "how competitors site ranks well even if their Google Page Rank is low than my website".
You need to understand two points, first point is that the Page Rank you see through Google tool bar or any 3rd party online tool is of old data. These are tracked for Google’s internal references and they are no more related to SERP’s.
And point 2, site SERP’s varies based on content and quality backlinks with right anchor text related to the site subject and also sometimes there would be difference based on keyword page you focus. Keywords in home page ranks well then keywords in inner page. So compare all these SEO factors with your site and improve your SERP’s.
Like Jag's SEO a day blog Facebook page. Help the page to grow and reach all SEO help seekers :D
Thursday, July 21, 2011
(1) Make sure you 301 redirect http://yoursite.com to http://www.yoursite.com (or either).
(2) Sort your site duplicate content issue by 301 redirection from http://www.yoursite.com/index.php to http://www.yoursite.com (goes with all page extensions like /.asp, /.htm, /.aspx and so).
(3) Have your site page URL search engine friendly. A page URL should not look like www.yoursite.com/innerpage?id=203. Have it with the desired page name, something like www.yoursite.com/203/your-name.
(4) If your site has N number of page and also if you post couple of content every day then it is recommended to have dynamic web sitemap & XML sitemap.
(5) Improve your site speed by resolving errors and optimizing image size.
(6) Have unique title for all dynamic pages. You can hard-code the system to have the page name in titles (Services or products).
(7) Configure custom 404 page for your website or point 404 to you sitemap.
(8) Use Google webmaster URL removal tool to get rid of unwanted page & broken link index.
(9) Use rel=" nofollow" to a link un-trusted page i.e. when you refer to a content through a link.
Follow the above technical SEO tips for your site and see the improvement in ranking and traffic. If you have clarification, feel free to contact me.
Friday, July 01, 2011
Once you integrate Google Analytics & Google Webmaster tools, in Google Analytics you will see a navigation link "Search Engine Optimization" under "Traffic Sources".
Explore SEO reports. Enjoy!
Thursday, June 23, 2011
- Directories, Yellow pages & classifieds
- Article writing
- Press release
- Gust blogging
- Gadget / Widget
- Social sites
- Commenting & reviews
- Community & groups
- Inner pages rank better if you have unique quality content with keywords around. Do not stuff keywords in content.
- Make sure you write for users and then for search engines. This works best for conversion.
- Have unique meaningful page title, Meta tags & body titles with H tags.
- Improve your internal linking strategy by having breadcrumb, anchor text & sitemap.
- Also get quality backlinks through natural links, directory links & social sites links.
Typical robots.txt file will look like,
User-agent: *User-agent: * - Means this section applies to all robots
Disallow: - Means that the robot should not visit any pages in the mentioned folder.
If you have a single or multiple XML sitemap then do not miss the opportunity to add to the robots.txt file. Below is an example of how multiple xml sitemap can be added to robots.txt
Related Post: Everything about Meta Robots and robots.txt
Sunday, May 29, 2011
Still many SEO's think keyword stuffing will work or they think they are doing the right way without checking the site keyword density and it can bring those organic results. This is again one form of black hat SEO. Here is the Google guideline on "Keyword stuffing".
Inlinks bring popularity to your websites and link juice gets your listing top. Natural links are good and you can get those links by attracting your readers with quality contents. But many do go for paid links and it results in violation of guidelines. Here the guidelines on "Paid links".
SEO is a process that should be taken care by following guidelines. If you don’t do so then you have high chance to get penalized. As well have your content unique and quality. Do not have copy content, modified / rephrased content or content scraper that can lead your site to get penalized.
Tuesday, April 26, 2011
We have much process and here are some important things,
1. Existing website structure analysis.
2. Competitor analysis, Keyword analysis and research.
3. Search engine marketing report.
4. Right Keywords identification according to targeted audience related to website.
5. More direct and keyword rich folder and file naming approach.
6. Adding optimized keywords to Meta tags & measuring keyword density on each page.
7. Adding breadcrumb trails to each page for internal links.
8. Adding robots to website, tell the search engines to index your site and which pages they should index.
9. Validating HTML http://validator.w3.org (optional)
11. Improving the HTML structure of pages by using heading tags, alt tags, div tags, etc.,
12. Improving home page and improving content of existing web pages by adding optimized keywords.
13. Adding links to the identified Search engines, Business directories and websites.
14. Continuous link building to achieve SERP's & page rank.
15. Configuring analytics to website.
16. Monitoring inbound links and monitoring referrals by Search Engines.
17. Monitoring search results for optimized pages.
18. Ongoing SEO Campaign report with analytics observation and ROI
Challenges involved to ensure that the website has high hits
First of all you need to ensure that you have a web statistics. Google Analytics is doing a good job and the interesting thing is that it is a free service.
The main challenge is to get to know your online business competition and analyze the competitor’s sites for their targeted search keywords and get to know were all their website is listed for referrals. The core area you need to focus is the content that sells your business service and products and having relevant page title with unique meta tags mainly the description part that helps search engines to display a snippet in search result, images with alt attribute that represent the content and to get good amount of quality links to your site from directories (like dmoz, Botw), article, news, press release, blog and social sites.
SEO is a long term process and the site online performance can take no more than two or three months and we can see good difference from half year or one and as the SEO campaign goes with long term we can see greater results that can generate mass quality traffic even for a single keyword term.