Covers insights on Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Google Search Algorithm Updates, Paid Search, Social Media to name a few . Jag's SEO A Day Blog help articles, tips and tricks are for free to educate newbie’s, web masters, online business owners and seasoned professionals!
Monday, February 17, 2014
(1) Can you show us why the competitor’s sites are ranking well even though my site is better when compared in all ways?
(Please don’t say it's because of domain age. Since we are in the industry we know the market share and the truth. The insight would help us to work on the site fixes.)
(2) Can you show a sample list of spam or poor quality backlinks other than mentioned in the manual action review request?
(3) Can you mention the algorithm update in webmaster tools that caused the traffic drop?
(We know that can be noticed from analytics or from search queries data. Suppose if you update 2 or more algorithm in consecutive weeks, the guess would be broad)
(4) Suppose my competitor hires a team to build my site links with bunch of spam and poor quality links, what would be the result after an algorithm update? I need to find those links to disavow and wait?
(5) WMT links to the site shows old data. This is a common issue raised by everybody. Suppose we removed links from spam sites and used disavow tool, how do we know that you have reviewed those updates and our disavow links did not make any sense?
(6) How do you expect more natural link juice for a commercial site with an age of 1 year old or 5 years old compared to 10 years old site or brand site?
(Do you really validate brand sites or is it something undercover?)
(In some case the 1 year or 5 years old site would be more preferred by users when compared to 10 years old site. Small or medium sized business need to be given a chance)
(7) Can you show the website search engine guidelines score compared to industry best website score?
(8) What if you feel that the site has quality less content / duplicate content and are supposed to be quality content to our knowledge. Can you show some samples?
Let Google shuffle the results, collect the data and show the results as users prefer.
Friday, September 07, 2012
As we all know ecommerce website promotion is a big challenge in online marketing industry and social media promotional area helps ecommerce site promotion through both direct conversation and as well by influencing the organic listing. Here you can find 5 solid tips that can help you to win it.
(1) Get to know where your type of customers are available - It can be from Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google Plus, Pinterest etc. There are many social media site that can help your business to grow in sales volume or to increase you brand presence which can finally lead to a returning conversation.
(2) Find your competitors and monitor what they do - Get to know the social sites in which your competitors are active and the content type they publish. Also look for the page views, followers, and fans of their social profiles how they involve in specific product promotion.
(3) Provide offers through social media - Mention exclusive Offers like coupon, holiday specials, free shipping etc.
(4) Engage customers - Write interesting articles and blog posts about specific products and its features and post it in your social sites profiles. Ask questions / reply to queries and conduct poll to make the place lively.
(5) Don’t use the company profile for direct product selling - Get facts and figures on your products and the specialty of the products. Make your company profile interesting and not boring.
These are the basic tips that can be followed for a start. As you cover these...you will be learning new areas based on the profile insight popularity and conversion statistics. For more insight feel free to drop your lines in comment section.
Thursday, May 31, 2012
As we all know there are thousands of SEO extensions for Google Chrome. Here are the 5 SEO tools I would recommend to understand and improve the site SEO factors.
(1) SEO for Chrome
This tool SEO for Chrome provides SEO Tools like to find Pages indexed, competitive analysis, keyword research, backlink checks, pagerank checks etc.
2) SEO SERP
A simple SERPS tool to check the position for a list of websites for a given keyword.
(3) SEO Site Tools
This tool provides the Social Media information, external page data, HTML and CSS Validation etc.
(4) SEO Professional Toolbar
This tool stores the rank and backlinks history for selected sites.
This tool shows the important SEO metrics and also compares link metrics for Google, Bing and Yahoo! with the SERP.
These SEO extensions for chrome can help you get an overall audit of your website popularity and these tools can help to improve the site performance in a better way.
Friday, March 30, 2012
Here are the 5 other search engines, your audience may be looking for information. Do not take charge only on Google. It is recommended for small & large business to focus on the below search engine too.
Again these are based on your global business. You need to study where your audience exists and then target accordingly. Optimize your site for user’s experience and not for search engines alone. Build quality backlinks and not quantity backlinks. Write unique content and with all these factors stay at the forefront of your competitors.
Tuesday, February 28, 2012
(1) Proofread what you have written. Print it and proofread again. Invest more time.
(2) Identify strong headline and summary with most related & preferred keywords. Grab readers and search engines attention.
(3) Have a professional content writer and provide her/him a draft of your content. Make sure the writer understands the requirement. Read the content two to three times.
(4) Write for your audience. Apart from stating your products and businesses launches do mention about the experience your type of audience will feel.
(5) Have your press release with info-graphics, links and videos.
(6) Use anchor text and hyperlinks to point to your site and products/services page.
(7) Give examples of solutions you have provided with your products & services.
(8) Don't feel shy or afraid of mentioning your success. Highlight your success stories.
(9) Provide introduction for your products and services and for more details, provide links that goes to your web pages.
(10) Write the facts and shorten the story with fewer words with well picked search keyword phrases.
Friday, January 06, 2012
SEO Web Design:
- Proper document structure, Page Heading and sub heading in <H1> followed by <H2>, <H3>, <H4>, <H5>, <H6> and Page content in <P> tags.
- Ensure main content appears near the top of a page in <body> start.
- Clean separation of data, styles, java script, client side scripting as external file.
- Add user Sitemap with all page URL's.
- Having Header and footer links in text format rather than images and avoid java script for adding links.
- Adding bread crumbs to all pages and it should look like Home (link) >> Services (link) >> SEO.
- Ensure page conforms to W3C accessibility standards (Additional Value).
- Click-able text in a hyperlink - Anchor text.
- Reducing Table structure, especially nested tables.
Read more - Search Engine Optimization (SEO) 101: Basics
SEO Web Development:
- Creating Search engine friendly URL's by removing Id’s and stop characters if it is a CMS site and page URL words can be separated by underscores or hyphens.
- Creating Meta data setup provision if it is a CMS site by way of adding and editing Title & Meta tags.
- Custom error 404 page for broken links.
- Generate dynamic RSS feeds for pages.
Read more - 10 Technical SEO tips to improve site SERPs and traffic
- Competitor analysis for finding out your Competitor business keywords.
- Adding anchor texts as keywords.
- Use long tail key phrases that has combination of keywords.
- Use Google suggest to identify most searched keywords and next most search keywords and so. Have those keywords combinations for promotion.
- Analyze your Google Analytics for search keywords and promote the keywords that list behind few pages. Find out the ratio of the visit conversion and work accordingly.
- Configure the site with Google, Yahoo and Bing Webmaster Tools to provide information about your site.
- * Make use of Google Webmaster tool to find broken links, server crawl ratio and server response and do necessary fixes if any.
- Make sure your default page is redirected to the domain so that the page rank is not shared for the same content.
- Use only unique content.
- * Never use any software to help you for SEO.
- * Adding robots to website, tell the search engines to index your site and which pages they should index.
- Improving content of existing web pages by adding optimized keywords.
- Use canonical tag to avoid search engine indexing site duplicate pages.
- Monitoring search results for optimised pages and improving with inlinks comparison and keywords results.
- Add robots.txt file to your site root to tell search engine bots what folders to be indexed and what not.
Read more - 5 Minutes Google Panda SEO Checklist
- Adding links to the identified Search engines, Business directories, yellow page, white pages, classifieds and websites.
- Social sites submission.
- RSS feed submission.
- Press release and News submission.
- Create a Blog and submit to Blog direcoties related to category.
- Human edited, local and Regional directory submission.
- Creating Pod cast and adding to Pod cast directories.
- Continuous link building to achieve page rank and improve backlinks.
- Do not add site to paid directories that doesn't follow Google guidelines.
- Do not submit your new site to 1000 of directories in one fine day. Be moderate and think for long term.
Read more - Secrets Behind Link Building & SEO tips for 2012.
Open Source SEO:
- Have content-based theme with will formatted CSS validation
- Use "All in SEO" Plugin" to have control over your blog post page Tilte and Meta tags
- Work on Blog Permalink to make it search engine friendly URL. Navigate to wordpress admin >> "Permalinks" >> "Custom structure" option to add the tag /%postname%/ for blog post search engine friendly URL
- Have you archive section enabled for you new visitors
- Use cloud tag for your blog that can help your site visitors to click on popular tags
- Use "Google Sitemaps" plugin to create sitemap.xml file and let Google know pages to be indexed
- Add your sitemap.xml file to Google, Yahoo and Bing Webmaster tools
- Configure Google Analytics and work on blog traffic progress.
- Setup Google Feedburner for your blog and have an option for blog visitors to subscribe for new blog posts.
Read more - Best 12 Wordpress SEO Tips and Advice
- Try to reduce code size of the default CSS by having only the suitable ones
- Path module in drupal needs to be enabled
- Meta tag Module needs to be configured
- Use robots.txt file to block unwant URL's
- Add breadcrums towards naviagtional structure
- Have your xml sitemap enabled and configure with Google webmaster tools
- Design drupal theme with XHTML to have the code size less
Read more - Top 10 Drupal SEO Tips and Advice
- SEO extension in Joomla gives helps you to manage the META and title settings.
- Search Engine Friendly (SEF) URLs extension creates Search Engine Friendly (SEF) URLs for page categories, sub categories, and any leavel of sub-pages.
- Simple SEO extension will show how search engines look at your content.
- Google Sitemap extension is used to generate and integrate Google XML sitemap for good indexing amoung Google and other major search engines.
- SearchCloud and Lists module creates Cloud or a List of popular search query.
Read more - Best 5 Joomla SEO Tips with Joomla SEO extensions
Wednesday, December 28, 2011
(1) How many words can I use in H1 tags?
H1 tags are for page headings. There are no fixed numbers. Have H1 tag meaning full for page body content that helps users and search engines to understand better. Normally 4 to 5 words are seen around as maximum and they were meaningful.
(2) Can I use the same article content in different articles site?
No you should not. Have one article per site. Do not duplicate. Make sure that the articles site is not a scrapper site.
(3) Does Google prioritize search results?
Yes Google lists search results based on website popularity and the factors includes links to your site, search engine friendly structure, quality content and many other factors. Follow Google guidelines to increase your online presence.
(4) How to get listed higher in Google?
Your site should meet Google guidelines provided the site should have relevant backlinks for your users search keywords and should have quality resources (articles, news etc). If it is a service site, build internal links from your resources.
(5) How often does Google crawl?
There is no fixed time interval. Crawls are based on backlinks, content updates, PageRank and many other factors. Build crawler-friendly pages by following Google guidelines.
(6) What is the Google panda factor?
Panda is a filter that finds low-quality pages. If you have too many low-quality pages then the site will be flagged. Read more on Google panda factor checklist.
(7) What are more important backlinks according to Google?
Backlinks that are related to your site theme and the linking site should have related content around.
(8) What does the term keyword prominence refer to?
Keyword prominence refers to the priority given for the keywords in top content, Title, H tags and Meta tags.
(9) What directories does Google like?
Human edited directories are linked most.
(10) Should I mention sitemap in robots.txt file?
Mentioning sitemap XML in robots.txt helps spiders to know the location of the sitemap.
The blog post “SEO questions answered” will be a weekly update. I will be answering the question as I find in my Google Analytics search log. Subscribe and stay tuned!
Thursday, November 24, 2011
This Blog post on Search Engine Optimization(SEO) 101 for students & beginners teaches the basics about Search Engines and web page optimization. Search Engine Optimization in short is called SEO and is also known by different terms like web promotion, organic promotion and free search listing.
"Search Engine Optimization (SEO) 101: Students Guide - Basics" helps to learn What Search Engine is, What SEO is, Why we do SEO, How SEO works, Finding the website page index, Adding a website page to Google, Yahoo and Bing in a simple way.
Favorite or Bookmark this post as the author will be adding more information on Basic SEO and you may use this post as a reference guide whenever you like to implement SEO.
What is a Search Engine?
Search Engine is a tool that helps to retrieve information for a user when a query is typed into the search text box and by clicking search button submit. A large amount of information can be easily retrieved when you do a search for a particular query also known as Keywords or Key phrase.
Search Engines have large databases that stores information consists of web pages, images, products, news, videos and many other types of files. Information are listed according to Search Engine internal algorithms. When you do a search for a keyword, you can notice the Webpages listing with total results on right hand side of the browser page of some thousands of records. Here the internal algorithms work for displaying the most relevant Webpage results for the keywords. Most Search Engines follow their own algorithm and a few combine or share with others.
What is Search Engine Optimization (SEO)?
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is a process to maximize web page visibility in Search Engines for users search queries (Keyword or Key phrase).
SEO tells Search Engine what the site WebPages are about and helps with easy WebPage crawl through effective Page Title, Meta tags, Alt attribute, Anchor text, Search friendly HTML tags and code, Optimizing quality content, Keyword optimization and Link building strategy.
Why Search Engine Optimization?
* To increase targeted organic traffic.
* To create brand identity.
* To increase global online presence.
* To list ahead of competitor.
* For long-term sales conversion.
* To reach potential customers.
* To increase ROI.
How Search Engine Optimization work in General?
Assume you have a non-SEO webpage and you check for search queries (Keywords / Key phrases) related to your content and check for Search Engine ranking in first page, top 10 positions. If you are ranked, it is well and good. You can dance. But the possiblity is that you will not be ranked for highly user-searched keywords known as strong keywords. Here you need to start with SEO Basics.
(i) Preliminary Measures and Checks
For starters, check whether you have everything in the WebPage to compete with the competition or the information that lists above your Search Engine indexed WebPage. Things to be checked are fresh informative content compared to the page listing above your WebPage listing. Getting the best keywords, comparing with the pages listed above your listing and verifying with good keywords suggestion tools. You have various good tools like Google keyword tool, Wordtracker and Keyword Discovery. Write clean code with well-formatted Cascading style sheet and Java script, and have it as an external file.
(ii) Primary SEO Guidelines
Try to give more importance to content and only use images with Alt attribute if you find them more relevant to the content and make the web page light in weight. Improve navigation links and the best practice is to go with text navigation links rather than image links for easy Search Engine crawl. Add user interactive forms, polls and quiz if the webpage information needs it. Then start submitting webpages to directories gradually. Once your WebPages are added to few directories and the search engine identifies these directories submission and stores the link information in database, then you will see improvement in your webpage position gradually. SEO works slowly and it is long term. It takes days, weeks and an even a month depending on the WebPage content competition and total search results. So we need to wait for the WebPage to generate traffic and conversion.
(iii) User Query, Search Engine Index & SEO Process
At the time when a Search Engine user searches for information using a query then the query is referred in Search Engine web server to retrieve index information page, the web server refers to index server. On the other hand assume a SEO work has been carried out as explained in preliminary measures and checks and primary SEO guidelines to the WebPages and submitted to the index sever (Refer Figure 1.0). This SEO process makes the WebPages re-indexed by Search Engine bots and stores in index server. Altogether the user query is being checked in index server and Search Engine internal algorithm looks for WebPages in doc server that match the user query and starts listing the indexed WebPages in results of 10 per page.
How to find if a website is indexed or not in Search Engines?
To start with you need to check whether your site pages are indexed or not in Search Engines (Refer Figure 2.0),.
Step 1: Go to www.Google.com, www.Yahoo.com, www.Bing.com
Step 2: Type, Site: www.yourdomian.com in Search box.
Step 3: Press, Submit search.
If your site pages are listed, you can see a search result page with total site pages indexed. If your site pages are not indexed and listed and Search Engines show "No Results" then you need to add site pages to Google. Yahoo and Bing.
How to list a site in Google, Yahoo and Bing?
If your site is not listed then you need to tell Search Engine about your site through Search Engine add URL page.
1. Add URL to Google
Go to www.google.com/addurl then enter your domain in URL text box, enter comments (optional) and type Captcha text and click Add URL button.(Refer Figure 3.0). That's all. Now your domain is added in Google Search Engine to index your domain WebPages.
2. Submit URL to Yahoo
Go to http://siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com/submit then enter your domain in text box and press submit URL button.(Refer Figure 3.1). That's it. Now your domain is submitted in Yahoo Search Engine to index your domain WebPages.
3. Submit URL to Bing
Go to www.bing.com/docs/submit.aspx then type Captcha characters and next type your domain and press Submit URL button. (Refer Figure 3.2). That's all. Now your domain is submitted in Bing Search Engine to index your domain WebPages.
Points to remember before you start SEO
* Write quality content for readers and help them with information for what the page is about.
* Use cascading style sheet for site page layout and clean code.
* Write meaningful page title with well researched keyword relevant to the page content
* Adding H tags for Headings and sub-headings for the content.
* Adding Alt attributes for images.
* Adding Anchor text for contents.
* Having content of 400 words minimum per page.
* HTML size should not be more than 50KB to 100KB.
* File name should be the same as page title.
* Adding text header navigation links, footer navigation links and Breadcrumb.
Common Search Engines
3. Bing (Former MSN)
6. Alta Vista
7. All the Web
8. Cuil.com (Down - Sep 10')
Oldest Search Engines
1. ALIWEB (1993)
2. JumpStation (1993)
3. Infoseek (1994)
4. Lycos (1994)
Search Engines Types
1. Meta Search Engines
2. Directory Search Engines
3. Paid Inclusion Search
4. Automatic Search Engines
5. Pay Per Click Search
6. Slash tag Search Engine
1. On Page SEO
2. Off Page SEO
Bad SEO Practices
1. Adding Invisible keywords
2. Purchasing Links
3. Having Duplicate content
4. Having Doorway pages
5. Automated SEO software
Types of Directories
1. General Directories
2. Local Directories
3. Regional Directories
4. Human Edited Directories
5. Blog directories
6. Article directories
7. Paid Listing Directories
- Google Toolbar
- Internet Archive
- Website speed check
- WebPage Spider Check
- Screen Resolutions Check
- Multi PageRank Check
- Page Visit Finder
- Alexa Site Traffic Lookup
- [PDF] Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide
- Meta tags
- Provide unique and relevant content
- Google Features: Query suggestions
- Google keyword tool
- Keyword Discovery
- Google Basics - Serving results
- HTML suggestions
- Making sure your content is text-based and readable
- Google - Site's index stats
Sunday, November 06, 2011
Factor 1. Do you have a low search performance page?
Status - Yes / No
Remark - You need to work on the quality of the page or you may delete the page. One non-quality page should not disturb other n number of quality pages.
Factor 2. Does your site loads slow?
Status - Yes / No
Remark - The site load time should not be high. You need to optimize your images and code to reflect site load speed.
Factor 3. Do you have well researched keywords that related your web page content?
Status - Yes / No
Remark - Without enough quality content, do not optimize your page titles for search keywords. The site page will be repeatedly listed for the user’s keywords only when the page is useful for the search user’s .Do not get into the personalized search users signed in site block list. At one point the search algorithm will be informed about the blocked sites.
Factor 4. Do you have high bounce rate?
Status - Yes / No
Remark - The site need to have well structured related links within the content or around the content. The navigational structure of the site should be clear with quality content. If the content is clear and interesting then the bounce rate will gets decreased because users will be interested to visits other relevant links.
Factor 5. Do you see users spending minimum time in your page(s)?
Status - Yes / NO
Remark - For a good site the users average time spent on the page should be high. This is based on the size of the quality content and other relevant content pages. You need to work on your content to hold users on the page(s) for long period.
Factor 6. Do you have related images for the content and do you own the copyright?
Status - Yes / No
Remark - If you are having images for your content then it should be relevant to the content. The image should speak about the content. Use your own image content or make sure to get the copyright of the image.
Factor 7. Do you have a clean design?
Status - Yes / No
Remark - Users experience is one of the main factors for panda update. Make sure the content is readable and website structure is user friendly with right combination of colours for a proper look and feel. Balance users experience with search engines experience. Also make sure that you include unique title, Meta tags, H tags, P tag, blog font, alt attribute and anchor texts.
Factor 8. Do you have a Meta description that briefs your page content?
Status - Yes / No
Remark - Make sure that the Meta description is not stuffed with keywords and it includes a brief of the page content.
Factor 9. Have you done a grammatical check on your web page content?
Status - Yes / No
Remark - Try to avoid grammatical mistakes in your content. Try to proofread before the content goes live. Clear content has high chance to list top.
Factor 10. Do you have more backlinks from same c class IP sites?
Status - Yes / No
Remark - Natural links are always better that artificial backlinks. Natural links are risk free. Update you site often with quality content so that your readers will like to give link from their site(s). Artificial backlinks from directories submission site has high chance to be from the same c class ip unless it is well researched. Bunch of links from same c class IP are not valid and can also be considered as spam.
Hope the above Google panda SEO checklist helps. The main factor for panda recovery is to avoid duplicate content and to remove or update poor quality content. Feel free to share your experience and factors if any.
Sunday, October 23, 2011
(1) Create a mobile site and build it search engine friendly OR make your existing site mobile friendly..
(2) Include G+ in all your webpages.
(3) Have complete profile information on Google plus / Google profiles and link it from your webpage.
(4) Get G+ for your webpage from reputed persons.
(5) Get natural links from readers by writing quality content.
(6) Add Facebook like and share buttons to your webpage and promote through social networks.
(7) Include rich snippet to your web pages and indicate through rich snippet form for validation.
(8) Write quality content for users and not for search engines.
(9) Do not get links from paid directories without "nofollow" links. Go for paid directories only for traffic and not for ranking.
(10) Include your business information in Google places. This is the best place for getting local search traffic.
(11) Have monthly press release with right content and links.
(12) Participate in related forums. Engage posters and get engaged too.
(13) Do blogging and start valuable commenting on follow link blogs.
(14) Write keyword rich text in alt attributes. Especially on the images that are on top of the web pages.
(15) Get users reviews if you have a selling page and make sure that rich snippet works.
(16) Work on the low positioned search keywords that you see in analytics.
(17) Analyse webmasters tools and work on the pages that generate impressions and not clicks.
(18) Include all open WebPages in XML sitemap and inform Google & Bing through webmaster tools.
(19) Optimize your page title with search keywords only when you have unique content.
(20) Optimize your WebPages with right unique Meta description that speaks short about the webpage content.
(21) Add H tags (H1, H2, H3, H4, H5 and H6) towards the page heading and sub headings without keyword stuffing.
(22) Have text links in header and footer of the WebPages.
(23) Add a sitemap to a website.
(24) Add breadcrumbs to the WebPages.
(25) Have one homepage for a site. Redirect http://yourdomain.com to http://www.yourdomain.com and http://www.yourdomain.com/default.html to http://www.yourdomain.com.
(26) Make sure you balance keyword frequency, keyword prominence and keyword density.
(27) Make SEO friendly URLs with keyword rich page names.
(28) Use hyphens (-) instead for underscore (_) for web page name.
(29) Have CSS (Style sheets) in external file.
(31) Make sure that the site loads fast.
(32) Have the home page size (KB) to the minimum.
(33) Use < p > tags for page contents.
(34) Use < b > tags for important texts in contents.
(35) Do link building with trusted directories.
(36) Get links from reputed person’s social media profiles.
(37) Always be a leaner of SEO.
Keep following this page. I will be adding more SEO tips for 2012 as I derive from practical experiences and industry updates.
Wednesday, October 19, 2011
Content that attracts readers are given more importance by Google and other search engines. Readers who link to your webpage would be high and with right anchor text your web page will be boosted link anything.
Artificial backlinks needs more time and effort and to find the right sites for submission is not so easy. As per Google guidelines, paid links submission without “nofollow” attribute will be a big cause for penalty. Even if you pay for links with “nofollow” attribute, the link juice flow doesn't work like before. Instead if you put more efforts for writing quality content then over night you will have a high chance of getting more natural backlinks from your readers.
Writing quality content is a onetime effort. It automatically works for you round the clock but link submission is a repeated process. It is not that you need not get links from quality human edited directory; it is as simple as that you need to give more importance to write quality content to get natural backlinks and it grows as it reaches mass audience. Through researches it is found that natural backlinks brings more relevant users and conversion level is high.
Tuesday, October 18, 2011
(1) Find duplicate content and check if your content is original www.copyscape.com
(2) Find your copyright image that are used in other sites http://www.tineye.com/
(3) Plagiarism checking system www.plagiarismdetect.com
(4) Check articles with text and URL http://www.articlechecker.com/
(5) Duplicate content checker with 2 URL's http://www.webconfs.com/similar-page-checker.php
(6) Find duplicate content with copy & paste original text http://www.dustball.com/cs/plagiarism.checker/
(7) Track copy content by pasting or typing your original text http://www.plagium.com/
(8) Upload original content and find copy content http://www.duplichecker.com/
(9) Scan for copy content http://www.scanmyessay.com/
(10) File and web copy content checker www.doccop.com
To solve the copy content issue, you need to contact Google's DMCA agent, for that you can use the form and to mail or fax you can use Mail/Fax Process.
Friday, October 14, 2011
Friday, August 19, 2011
Your Bounce rate should not be 100% and your Browse rate should be 100%.
What is bounce rate?
In Google Analytics, bounce rate in percentage shows the visitors activity on who left the page in one single visit. The possibilities are,
1. The entrance page is not relevant
2. The content is not clear
3. The design looks very bad
4. If there are no proper navigation links
5. If no relevant links to the subject
6. If the page loads too slow
What is browse rate?
Browse rate refers to the visits page depth and time spent on each page. If your site looks good and the content is informative then your page should be one of the favorites for the visitor.
By now you would have got an idea on Bounce rate and Browse rate metrics and how it helps your organic listing. Work on your site and improve user’s experience.
Sunday, July 24, 2011
If you search for your keywords and compare with your online competitors, your listing would be different based on many factors. Here many do think "how competitors site ranks well even if their Google Page Rank is low than my website".
You need to understand two points, first point is that the Page Rank you see through Google tool bar or any 3rd party online tool is of old data. These are tracked for Google’s internal references and they are no more related to SERP’s.
And point 2, site SERP’s varies based on content and quality backlinks with right anchor text related to the site subject and also sometimes there would be difference based on keyword page you focus. Keywords in home page ranks well then keywords in inner page. So compare all these SEO factors with your site and improve your SERP’s.
Like Jag's SEO a day blog Facebook page. Help the page to grow and reach all SEO help seekers :D
Thursday, July 21, 2011
(1) Make sure you 301 redirect http://yoursite.com to http://www.yoursite.com (or either).
(2) Sort your site duplicate content issue by 301 redirection from http://www.yoursite.com/index.php to http://www.yoursite.com (goes with all page extensions like /.asp, /.htm, /.aspx and so).
(3) Have your site page URL search engine friendly. A page URL should not look like www.yoursite.com/innerpage?id=203. Have it with the desired page name, something like www.yoursite.com/203/your-name.
(4) If your site has N number of page and also if you post couple of content every day then it is recommended to have dynamic web sitemap & XML sitemap.
(5) Improve your site speed by resolving errors and optimizing image size.
(6) Have unique title for all dynamic pages. You can hard-code the system to have the page name in titles (Services or products).
(7) Configure custom 404 page for your website or point 404 to you sitemap.
(8) Use Google webmaster URL removal tool to get rid of unwanted page & broken link index.
(9) Use rel=" nofollow" to a link un-trusted page i.e. when you refer to a content through a link.
Follow the above technical SEO tips for your site and see the improvement in ranking and traffic. If you have clarification, feel free to contact me.
Thursday, June 23, 2011
- Inner pages rank better if you have unique quality content with keywords around. Do not stuff keywords in content.
- Make sure you write for users and then for search engines. This works best for conversion.
- Have unique meaningful page title, Meta tags & body titles with H tags.
- Improve your internal linking strategy by having breadcrumb, anchor text & sitemap.
- Also get quality backlinks through natural links, directory links & social sites links.
Typical robots.txt file will look like,
User-agent: *User-agent: * - Means this section applies to all robots
Disallow: - Means that the robot should not visit any pages in the mentioned folder.
If you have a single or multiple XML sitemap then do not miss the opportunity to add to the robots.txt file. Below is an example of how multiple xml sitemap can be added to robots.txt
Related Post: Everything about Meta Robots and robots.txt
Sunday, May 29, 2011
Still many SEO's think keyword stuffing will work or they think they are doing the right way without checking the site keyword density and it can bring those organic results. This is again one form of black hat SEO. Here is the Google guideline on "Keyword stuffing".
Inlinks bring popularity to your websites and link juice gets your listing top. Natural links are good and you can get those links by attracting your readers with quality contents. But many do go for paid links and it results in violation of guidelines. Here the guidelines on "Paid links".
SEO is a process that should be taken care by following guidelines. If you don’t do so then you have high chance to get penalized. As well have your content unique and quality. Do not have copy content, modified / rephrased content or content scraper that can lead your site to get pandalized.
You may also like SEO related articles below,
- Best 5 Joomla SEO Tips with Joomla SEO extensions
- Best 12 Wordpress SEO Tips and Advice
- Top 10 Drupal SEO Tips and Advice
- Pick Your Target Keywords and Position Your Keywords Meant for Search Engine Eyes
- Secrets Behind Link Building
- Does Changing ip Effects Domain Search Engine Rankings?
- Why Business Keywords Matter
* The Blog post is copyrighted to Jagadeesh M and can only be reproduced given the author's permission. Unauthorized usage of the content is strictly prohibited and results in violation of the copyright laws.
Share with your friends:
Ask your SEO / SEM / SMM Questions in Search Engine Watch Forums . You will get answers from me and fellow search engine industry leaders. Best!
Tuesday, April 26, 2011
We have much process and here are some important things,
1. Existing website structure analysis.
2. Competitor analysis, Keyword analysis and research.
3. Search engine marketing report.
4. Right Keywords identification according to targeted audience related to website.
5. More direct and keyword rich folder and file naming approach.
6. Adding optimized keywords to Meta tags & measuring keyword density on each page.
7. Adding breadcrumb trails to each page for internal links.
8. Adding robots to website, tell the search engines to index your site and which pages they should index.
9. Validating HTML http://validator.w3.org (optional)
11. Improving the HTML structure of pages by using heading tags, alt tags, div tags, etc.,
12. Improving home page and improving content of existing web pages by adding optimized keywords.
13. Adding links to the identified Search engines, Business directories and websites.
14. Continuous link building to achieve SERP's & page rank.
15. Configuring analytics to website.
16. Monitoring inbound links and monitoring referrals by Search Engines.
17. Monitoring search results for optimized pages.
18. Ongoing SEO Campaign report with analytics observation and ROI
Challenges involved to ensure that the website has high hits
First of all you need to ensure that you have a web statistics. Google Analytics is doing a good job and the interesting thing is that it is a free service.
The main challenge is to get to know your online business competition and analyze the competitor’s sites for their targeted search keywords and get to know were all their website is listed for referrals. The core area you need to focus is the content that sells your business service and products and having relevant page title with unique meta tags mainly the description part that helps search engines to display a snippet in search result, images with alt attribute that represent the content and to get good amount of quality links to your site from directories (like dmoz, Botw), article, news, press release, blog and social sites.
SEO is a long term process and the site online performance can take no more than two or three months and we can see good difference from half year or one and as the SEO campaign goes with long term we can see greater results that can generate mass quality traffic even for a single keyword term.
Blog posts you may like,
• SEO Lies and SEO Truths
• Top 1 of the Bottomless SEO Tips
• Jag SEO write-ups in Google Knol Library
• How to do Mobile SEO? - Tips and Best Practices
• Does Google treat all links equally?
* The Blog post is copyrighted to Jagadeesh Mohan and can only be reproduced given the author's permission. Unauthorized usage of the content is strictly prohibited and results in violation of the copyright laws.
Ask your SEO / SEM / SMM Questions in Search Engine Watch Forums . You will get answers from me and fellow search engine industry leaders. Best!