Link love differs from page block place to place. A link placement in content is different from links in blogroll, footer links area or link listings - say directories.
Content link love has the benefit of having related text around and it looks natural to search engines eyes. There are many article sites and blog authors who write content referring quality content pages that contain examples or O.P section. These reffered links has much value than the links submitted to directories or having links in the blogroll. So write fresh content and start getting natural links from authors and bloggers and move your page popularity much ahead.
Blog posts you may like,
• SEO Lies and SEO Truths
• Top 1 of the Bottomless SEO Tips
• Jag SEO write-ups in Google Knol Library
• How to do Mobile SEO? - Tips and Best Practices
• Does Google treat all links equally?
* The Blog post is copyrighted to Jagadeesh M and can only be reproduced given the author's permission. Unauthorized usage of the content is strictly prohibited and results in violation of the copyright laws.
Ask your SEO / SEM / SMM Questions in Search Engine Watch Forums . You will get answers from me and fellow search engine industry leaders. Best!