Here an example for sitelinks. Search Google for "SEO Help Blog" keyword and we can see sitelinks listing. This helps users to get an idea on what the Blog is about and the users can click directly to the page they need without navigating to find the most useful topic. Added, only the best site or blog gets sitelinks and they provide a better visibility to search users about the importance. For sitelinks screenshot, see below,
- The Blog or Site that mostly lists first for a specific keyword(s) creates Sitelinks.
- Search engine friendly structured navigation.
- Reasonable organic search traffic.
- Good Blog or site visit from search results.
- Site or blog age and frequent content update.
- Good amount of useful internal links / outbound links.
- Inlinks from quality sites or blogs.
By now as you know Google do not provide option to add sitelinks since it is generated automatically but Google provides site or blog owners and webmaster to remove / block sitelinks which they feel not needed. Google Webmaster tools can manage links in Google sitelinks. Hope you know about Google Webmaster tools and you might have configured you site or blog with it. In Google Webmaster tools we have an option "sitelinks" in "site configuration" navigation that can be found in left hand side of the dashboard.
Expect now you got an idea how sitelinks works and if you don't have one to your site or blog, start working on it and if you find your existing sitelinks are to be managed, then work on Google webmaster tools sitelinks option.
Ask your SEO / SEM / SMM Questions in Search Engine Watch Forums . You will get answers from me and fellow search engine industry leaders. Best!